The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a national bursary scheme under the Department of Higher Education in South Africa. The main objective of the scheme is to help needy disadvantaged students who meet the academic qualifications. In this article, you will be shown with every detail on how to apply nsfas.
NSFAS Create Account
The procedure is very simple and need not panic as I walk you through the steps.
Things you need before applying online:
- A smartphone, tablet or computer
- the device must be connected to the internet
- a functioning mobile phone number
- active email address
- Valid South African ID
- Certified copy of the ID not more than three (3) months.
- A completed and duly signed a consent form.
- If you are still under the care of your parents/guardian/spouse, you will have to provide:
- certified copies of your parent/s or guardians or spouse ID not older than three (3) months
- show evidence of income of parent or spouse or guardian which could be either a payslip or formal appointment etc.
- If you are self-dependent, then you provide proof of income ( eg. payslip or appointment) and three (3) years IRP5.
- If there is any disability, provide fully completed and signed Disability Annexexure A forms if your data is not alreaday entered in the portal.
- If you are an orphan or you don’t have parents or guardian, you need to submit a completed Orphan Declaration Form.
- If you are SASSA beneficiary, you will provide a certified copy of ID not older than three (3) months and completed and a signed consent form.
- The following documents may be needed if applicable:
- Retrenchment Letter
- Death Certificate(s)
- Divorce Decree
Here are the procedures on how to register nsfas
- Open the internet browser on the device (eg: Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera (don’t use Opera mini), Netscape, Yandex, Microsoft Edge, etc.)
- In the address bar enter the nsfas official website address: www.nsfas.org.za
- At the top right corner of the browser, click on the tab myNSFAS ACCOUNT
- Click on the register button
- Make sure you tick on the acceptance option that will allow nsfas to validate and verify the information provided by you with other third party agencies. Remember, without ticking this, registration cannot be completed.
- Enter your ID Number as it appears on your official documents.
- Enter your name and surname as it appears exactly on your document.
- Enter your email address and mobile phone number. Care must be taken that you enter them correctly as this will be used for confirmation and other sunsequent correspondence.
- Create a unique username and password. That password should not be something that can easily be guessed but you can easily remember. It advised using a combination of different characters like letters and numbers and a mixture of upper and lower cases characters. Example of a good password is RadEbe@301$. Note that anyone with access to your account details can ultimately steal from you.
- Click on the register button
- After clicking on the register button, a one time pin (OTP) will be delivered to the email address and mobile phone number provided in step 8. The OTP is valid for a period of 24 hours. If you fail to use it within 24 hours, you will have to create another OTP again the next time.
- Check your mobile phone message inbox and email inbox for notification of the OTP.
- You will then receive a second email and SMS alerts confirming the registration process. You can then go ahead to start the application.
- Enter the OTP received in the field provided and click on submit button to finalize registration. Congratulations. You are done with the registration.
NSFAS – How to Apply Online
After registration, you will have to go through this procedure to start the application itself.
- Go to the login page and enter the page by entering the username and the password created.
- Click on MY PERSONAL DETAILS to check if all the details entered are correct.
- You can then click on apply tap to complete the application.
- Scroll down further of the APPLY page to cross-check if the personal details entered are all correct otherwise make the necessary corrections.
- You will need to upload the required documents. You are only to upload only the supporting documents the system is requesting.
- Care must be taken when uploading the documents, upload the correct documents as requested by the system.
- The documents must either be pdf or jpeg formats. Word documents will be rejected by the system. You can convert a word document into pdf easily or use a smartphone to capture the image.
- Once all the required documents are uploaded, click on UPLOAD DOCUMENTS.
- Make sure to check the box for the agreement to the Terms and Conditions.
- After that click SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.
- Once the application process is successful, an SMS and Email notifications will be received with the reference number indicating successful submission. The reference will be used to track your scheme status.
- You can then track your status on my.nsfas.org.za
nsfas – How To Apply – Video Tutorial
You can watch this video tutorial from the official NSFAS youtube channel on how to do the registration
If you don’t have access to any of the devices mentioned above, you can locate nsfas application centres across the country to have you registered and applied. Visit this link to check all the registration centres
If you still want to contact the nsfas centre for general enquiries, complaints or reporting you will see all their contact details here.