Classroom Management Strategies Every Teacher Should Try
One of the qualities of a good teacher is by being able to manage your classroom very well. And it is as if most teachers are failing in this regard.
As a teacher in any class, you will meet different students from different cultural and educational and family background. And it is also true for human behavior, some are aggressive, calm and others non-cooperative.
These students have varying intelligent quotient (IQ) and have different ways of processing data.
It is therefore up to the teacher to find better ways to manage the class for a successful lesson delivery and total upbringing of the child or student.
Below are some of the strategies that have helped me in my course of teaching.
- Students are allowed to participate in the setting of rules. I will first ask them to give their rules and how they want to see the class. Most often when people take part in establishing rules, they are likely to obey those rules as they have a sense of responsibility.
Punishment and or rewards can be attached to the rules, so that the student themselves will help make sure that they are enforced and adhered to.
- The rules established must be documented. Copies should be made available at class announcement post board in the classroom.
It helps make easy reference and serve as evidence for cases in the future. From time to time, you can read or make the students read portions of the rules as reminders or even more make verbal reference to it.
- Offering praises as when necessary. Praising serve as a form of motivation and appreciation. That can boost the students morale to do more. It can sometimes even raise the interest of others.
It could be in a form of offering congratulatory messages for work done or or even being punctual in class or choosing to participate in class discussions.
- I try as much possible not to punish the whole class for offenses committed by one student or a section of the class. Imagine one student make unsavory comments and because you the teacher could not identify the particular student, you decide to punish the whole class. That will, in the long run, jeopardize the healthy relationship between the teacher and the students.
Rather than punishing entire class, treat individual issues separately.
- As a major medium of communication, verbal communication is the utmost approach. But non verbal communication can also be adopted, like visual contact, gestures, diagrams as all these help in lesson delivery. Winking your eye should tell the student something.
- Students sometimes confessed that they are more comfortable and relaxed when their peers explain concepts to them and in turn help them understand. It will not be out of place to encourage peer to peer teaching among the students. That will even build a solid and friendly relationship along the students.
The best way to that is to offer group work and encourage everyone to actively participate. That will eventually help in their students own interpersonal skills.
- In the class as lesson is going on, try and appoint some students to come to the board to solve or offer their opinion of the topic under discussion. Let them know how to defend their opinions and personal beliefs. When they see something wrong, they should raise concerns. This will help them take initiatives on their own and make progress.
- Have you ever tried to call parents concerning their wards? It might sounds weird, but it is a real gem when managing students and can affect classroom management.
This will help parents to get themselves in the welfare of their kids as far as schooling is concerned. It will also pave way for discussion, if any student is having challenges of any kind. Some students might have problems from the house or their neighborhood, and that can influence their behavior in the classroom.
Read Also: Mobile Phone Usage in the SHS
For instance, bullying has become a social menace more and more teenagers are falling prey to, and has contributed negatively in most teens’ behavior both in the house and at the school.
Considering the fact that every individual is unique and have potentials and aspirations, it is prudent to offer different study guides that will individual capabilities. It is the work of the teacher to identify the talents and offer the necessary guidance and support.
- When a bad behavior is detected, it must be dealt with immediately as that may be cancerous and spread to others. Help maintain standards when it comes to discipline. In ensuring discipline in the class various disciplinary actions can be adopted, even at times, you may only need to have a chat with the wrongdoer.
- The lesson should, to the best possible, be exciting by looking at sections of the lesson that can create the happy moments. Even if there is nothing of such sort, you can create some jokes and fun along the lesson delivery
- Making use of technology is a whole new paradigm shift from the traditional teaching. Why don’t you employ the services of technology to offer new insight into concepts. Simulation and other tech base activities can help enhance understanding and make the lesson more fun.
What have been discussed here are necessarily all the strategies a teacher can adopt in the classroom, there are still other ways which are culturally or environmentally friendly. Whatever makes your class interesting and teaching environment more conducive are always welcome.
You can leave a comment or feedback using the comment box below and continue the discussions over there.
Moreover, if there is a particular classroom management skill that is helping you a lot, I will be very happy if you share it with us and it will be added to the article.